Dr Deborah N. Auer
How I work
I work with what each client brings in a unique and individual way focusing on the therapeutic relationship as the vehicle for change. Being curious about human behaviour has resulted in my career in psychology. I am registered and abide by the BPS, BACP and UKCP code of ethics
My therapeutic approach is integrative with a strong influence from psychodynamic and relational therapy. I also incorporate CBT and humanistic therapy.
Over the past eight years I have worked in a number of different clinical settings with people from all walks of life. Whilst completing my doctorate I worked for a Reconstructive, Plastic Surgeon. This has provided me with unique insight and understanding as to what motivates patients to pursue cosmetic surgery and it also led me to research what psychological support is most useful to patients throughout their cosmetic surgery journey.
I have worked with individuals who present with a range of mental health issues in the NHS, Counselling Services in Ealing and Wokingham and for a number of years as a Counsellor for students at the City of Oxford College. I have also worked for an Employee Assistance Provider (EAP) doing short-term counselling with staff from various companies. I delivered a number of mental health and wellbeing workshops in many government organisations.
I have a special interest in
• Depression, stress, anxiety and self-esteem issues
• Body image issues
• Relationship therapy
• PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) and trauma work
• Eating disorders
• Pre and post cosmetic surgery support
• Preoperative psychological assessments
Due to my interest in body image, my doctoral thesis focused on the experience of female patients seeking elective rhinoplasty (nose job) surgery.
• Doctor of Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy by Professional Studies, Metanoia Institute accredited by Middlesex University
• Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychotherapy, Metanoia Institute
• Diploma in Integrative Psychodynamic Counselling, Metanoia Institute
• BA (Hons) with Specialisation in Psychological Counselling, University of South Africa
• Certificate of Competency in using Psychological Tests, Metanoia Counselling and Psychotherapy Service
• Certificate of Completion of the Fundamentals of EGALA (Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association Model Practice)
• British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP): www.bacp.co.uk
• UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP): www.psychotherapy.org.uk
• British Psychological Society (BPS): www.bps.org.uk